How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Holyrood, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Our Environment: Our home is located on the east side of Edmonton, nestled in the quaint residential community of Holyrood. Our home is easily accessible to all areas of the city with close proximity to major roadways. The single-storey design fosters a very home-like atmosphere and closeness between residents and staff.
- Seated Exercise Class: We have seated exercise classes three times a week that focus on strength, range of motion, balance and flexibility.
- Bowling: Once a week bowling is very popular with both the men and women.
- Intergenerational Program: We have an Intergenerational Program that brings elementary school children and Grade 9 leadership students into our home to spend time with our residents.
- Games Afternoon: Once a week is Games Afternoon when we play a variety of games including Trivia, Wheel of Fortune, Bingo and more.
- Travel Time: Once a month we have Travel Time where residents tell us about a place or culture they are interested in and we explore the music, food, maps and history of the place together.
- Movie Night: Movie night, complete with popcorn is a staple twice a month.
- Memory Sharing: Twice a month residents meet to reminisce together about their experiences, travels, holidays, music and life in general.
- Sing-along Group: We have a group sing-along three times a month.
- Live Entertainment: We have regular live entertainment twice a month featuring a variety of different performers from the community.
- Monthly Birthday Bash: We celebrate birthdays once a month where residents enjoy a cake, candles, a card and a rousing chorus of “Happy Birthday to You”.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist
- Respiratory Therapist